Tours are scheduled for Winter of 2025
Travel to Mexico’s Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserves
Follow the Monarch butterflies on their winter migration to the warm mountains of Mexíco where you’ll encounter millions of butterflies suspended on the limbs of Oyamel pine trees. The world’s longest insect migration starts in September in Canada and the northern United States and the Monarchs start arriving in Mexico at the end of October in time for the holidays. This winter excursion focuses on the phenomenon of the Monarch migration in Mexico where we make three visits to the sanctuaries at El Rosario and Sierra Chincua and learn about Mexican efforts to promote environmentally sound practices in the delicate ecosystem of the Sierra Madre. Apart from the educational aspect, we also provide time for fun and relaxation. We’ll have the opportunity to meet local people, swim, sample delicious Mexican cooking and visit traditional sites in the state of Michoacán while being warmed by the Mexican sunshine.
Monarch Odyssey tours focus on visiting butterfly sanctuaries in the states of Michoacán and México. We’ll stay in local towns to take advantage of cultural and natural attractions in the area, partaking of the flavors of Michoacán. We may adjust the itinerary depending on the climate conditions. The sanctuaries are located in the Sierra Madre mountains above 9000 feet above sea level, the weather varies from day to day and we are in contact with guides at each location to optimize our opportunity to see millions of Monarchs in flight.
- Day 1 – arrival to Morelia International Airport – spend the night in a nearby hotel.
- Day 2 – Sierra Chincua Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve – spend the night in Tlalpujahua – Pueblo Magíco.
- Day 3 – Tlalpujahua de Rayón and Dos Estrellas Gold and Silver Mine, Christmas Ornament Workshop, the Buried Church and more local experiences.
- Day 4 – El Rosario Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve – the worlds largest Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary.
- Day 5 – Hotel Spa Agua Blanca – located in a tropical valley, we’ll enjoy the chance to swim in thermal pools, hike and see local sites.
- Day 6 – We return to the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve – On the final day we revisit one of the sanctuaries depending on the conditions where we have the best to chance to see the Monarchs in flight.
- Day 7 – Return to the North from Morelia International Airport.
DATES, PRICES & INFORMATION
Trips cost $2100 US per person (double occupancy) our tours are limited to 10 participants! Your odyssey begins on Sunday and ends on Saturday from Morelia. Available Dates:
February 9th – 15th, 2025
To request more information and/or start the booking process send an email to email@example.com or fill out the form below:
Peggy Haas, Menominee Falls, WI
When my horse and I arrived at the mountaintop clearing at El Rosario Sanctuary and I saw thousands and thousands of Monarchs swirling around me, as though in an orange snow globe, my heart stopped. It’s a phenomenon unlike any I’ve ever witnessed. I wish everyone could have a chance to see this natural wonder.
Gayle Jones, Madison, WI
These tours take you to the real Mexico. Everyone is kind, friendly, and welcoming – even if you don’t speak Spanish! The area is very rich in history and culture, and Mexicans are eager to share that with us. The food is wonderful! You can appreciate beautiful natural vistas and impressive architecture. I found some kind of pleasant surprise every day of the trip.
John Simmons, New York, NY
I’ve gone on two Conocer /Odyssey trips and both were very well organized. The Mexican guides did everything imaginable to make the trip enjoyable and comfortable. They know the regions geography, history and culture very well because they’ve lived it. They are eager to share it with visitors.