Tours are scheduled for Winter of 2024
OVERVIEW of Monarch Sanctuaries Package
Travel to Mexico’s Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserves
Follow the Monarch butterflies on their winter migration to the warm mountains of Mexíco where you’ll encounter millions of butterflies suspended on the limbs of Oyamel pine trees. The world’s longest insect migration starts in September in Canada and the northern United States and the Monarchs start arriving in Mexico at the end of October in time for the holidays. This winter excursion focuses on the phenomenon of the Monarch migration in Mexico where we visit three different sanctuaries and learn about Mexican efforts to promote environmentally sound practices in the delicate ecosystem of the Sierra Madre. Apart from the educational aspect, we also provide time for fun and relaxation. We’ll have the opportunity to meet local people, swim, sample delicious Mexican cooking and visit traditional sites in the state of Michoacán while being warmed by the Mexican sunshine.
Monarch Odyssey tours focus on visiting butterfly sanctuaries in the states of Michoacán and México. We’ll stay in local towns to take advantage of cultural and natural attractions in the area, partaking of the flavors of Michoacán. We may adjust the itinerary depending on the climate conditions. The sanctuaries are located in the Sierra Madre mountains above 9000 feet above sea level, the weather varies from day to day and we are in contact with guides at each location to optimize our opportunity to see millions of Monarchs in flight.
- Day 1 – arrival to Morelia International Airport – spend the night in an airport hotel.
- Day 2 – Sierra Chincua Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve – spend the night in Tlalpujahua – Pueblo Magíco.
- Day 3 – Tlalpujahua de Rayón and Dos Estrellas Gold and Silver Mine, Christmas Ornament Workshop and other sites.
- Day 4 – El Rosario Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve – the worlds largest Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary.
- Day 5 – Hotel Spa Agua Blanca – located in a tropical valley, we’ll enjoy the chance to swim in thermal pools, hike and see local sites.
- Day 6 – Cerro Pelon Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve – The site where Monarchs were discovered by a Canadian researcher in 1976.
- Day 7 – Return to the North from Morelia International Airport.
Peggy Haas, Menominee Falls, WI
When my horse and I arrived at the mountaintop clearing at El Rosario Sanctuary and I saw thousands and thousands of Monarchs swirling around me, as though in an orange snow globe, my heart stopped. It’s a phenomenon unlike any I’ve ever witnessed. I wish everyone could have a chance to see this natural wonder.
Gayle Jones, Madison, WI
These tours take you to the real Mexico. Everyone is kind, friendly, and welcoming – even if you don’t speak Spanish! The area is very rich in history and culture, and Mexicans are eager to share that with us. The food is wonderful! You can appreciate beautiful natural vistas and impressive architecture. I found some kind of pleasant surprise every day of the trip.
John Simmons, New York, NY
I’ve gone on two Conocer /Odyssey trips and both were very well organized. The Mexican guides did everything imaginable to make the trip enjoyable and comfortable. They know the regions geography, history and culture very well because they’ve lived it. They are eager to share it with visitors.